ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Postgraduate Department of Mathematics was established in theyear 2011, in The National College, Jayanagar, under the supervision of Dr. A.H. Rama Rao, President of National Education Society of Karnataka and a Mathematician Late. Prof. K.S. Ramprasad. Prof. S.N. Nagaraja Reddy, Secretary of NES of Karnataka and Prof. H.R. Krishnamurthy, Principal of The National College, Jayanagar are helping the department to grow from strength to strength.
Academic and research activities are developing rapidly under the guidance of most eminent young scientist and Postgraduate Coordinator of Mathematics Dr.K.R Madhura. The dynamic, efficient and experienced teaching faculties are taking the department to an exalted position.
The main objective of the department is to produce trained student resources for undertaking research and teaching in mathematics and interdisciplinary subjects. The effort of the department is conspicuous, as the students trained here are getting placed in elite institutions and pursuing higher research activities.
FOUR SCHOLARSHIPS of value Rs. 15,000/- per year are awarded to the selected students in the name of ANNAPURANAMMAL, dear mother of Sri. E.R.C. SHEKAR
- To mould and prepare students to develop principles and logical tools of mathematics.
- Aspiring to achieve highest standards of excellence in teaching, research and services.
- Striving to earn regional recognition for the expertise in the field of mathematics.
- To provide expanded base of knowledge, analytical thinking, practical applications for utilizing technology.
- To provide platform for pursuing academics on par with global standards.
- Complimenting diverse strengths and interests in teaching Mathematics.
- Supporting students to meet the academic challenges and to achieve goals to get success.
- Collaborate with local community, organizations, professional associations, other campus entities and individuals.
- Promoting aesthetics of mathematics, mathematical research, utility of mathematical reasoning.
Course Design and methodology:
Design: Two years are spread over four semesters each of which is of a duration of six months including end semester examination. In the first two semesters, focus is on the basic papers in Mathematics like Algebra, Analysis and Topology with basic applied papers like Ordinary Differential Equations, Partial Differential Equations and Discrete Mathematics. In the final semesters, focus is on special papers and skill-based papers.
Methodology: Instead of adapting the monotonous teaching styles, the students are exposed to lectures from academicians coming from different elite mathematics institutes. They are also allotted credits for seminars that they present in each paper for each of the semesters. They also take part in the forum activities like lecture competition, collage competitions etc… Projects will be guided by the experienced faculty to make students to be on par with the industry. Knowledge of programming languages such as Sci lab, MAT lab will also be given in each semester
Faculty of Mathematics (PG)
|Dr. Madhura K.R||M.Sc., Ph.D.||Associate Professor & HOD|
|Dr. Kalpana G||M.Sc.,Ph.D||Assistant. Professor|
|Ms. Akhila P.A||M.Sc., KSET,||Assistant. Professor|
|Ms.Soniya Hegde||M.Sc.||Assistant. Professor|
CURRICULUM STRUCTURE AND TEACHING METHODOLOGY
The new syllabus of M.Sc, Mathematics is designed in an accessible and attractive way. The structure of the syllabus is developed in a manner which caters to the needs of academic research as well as R&D in industries. Every semester students have practical papers, in which they learn programming mathematical problems and techniques using programming languages like Scilab, Maxima, Matlab etc… students also learn Latex and Latex beamer programming too. It is a constructive initiative by the department to introduce students to the interesting application side of mathematics along with formal learning.
DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Kavya G M – M.Sc, 2013 passed out batch – Working as lecturer in The National College, Jayanagar, in Undergraduate department.
- Angadi Santosh Sidappa – M.Sc, 2014 passed out batch – Working as an Assistant Professor in “Shri Krishna Degree College”, Bangalore and also pursuing his Ph.D, in “Mathematical Modeling of Air Pollution in Urban Areas using Meso Large Scale.”
- Seema N – M.Sc, 2014 passed out batch – Working as a Learning Designer in “Excel Soft Technologies”, Bangalore.
- Raja R, Muruli BR and Siddagangappa – M.Sc, 2014 passed out batch – Working as Lecturers in “Shri Chaithanya PU College”, Bangalore.
- Ranjitha R – M.Sc, 2015 passed out batch – Working as an Assistant Professor in the postgraduate department in “Oxford College”, Bangalore.
- Chandrashekar CT – M.Sc, 2015 passed out batch – working as a lecturer in “SRS Institution”, Hennur Cross, Bangalore.
List of students in the dept of PG Mathematics has actively participated for the project work
|SWETHA. D. S||Unsteady flow of a dusty fluid through different geometries in the presence of external fields.|
|KALPANA. G||Investigation of heat transfer on dusty fluid flow.|
|BABITHA||A numerical investigation on boundary layer flow and heat transfer of Newtonian/non-Newtonian fluids|