The department of Psychology was established in the year 1965. It was headed by Prof.R.A. Phanishayi, who also served as the Principal of the College for 8 years. Under his leadership, the department earned the reputation of being one of the best departments in the college. Later, his predecessors also upheld the standard of the department. Many of our students have progressed to higher education in various fields of Psychology such as Clinical Psychology, Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Child care and guidance and counseling Psychology.
The department of Psychology offers undergraduate degree in Psychology and also Interdisciplinary course from 2016, namely “Self understanding and assessment” and “Life skills education” for students of all streams. The department follows a semester system with CBCS (Choice Based Credit System) as evaluative tool.
|Smt. Geetha Srinivas||M.Sc.||Assistant Professor & H.O.D|
|Sri. Jayanth. M||M.Sc.||Assistant Professor|
|Smt. Anupama. M.S||M.Sc.||Assistant Professor|
- Organized a talk and Workshop on ‘Understanding Gender and it’s Social Construction’, in collaboration with SAMVADA Youth Resource Center, Bangalore on April 7, 2015. The resource persons were Ms. Komala Rangaswamy and Ms. Kirana.
- Organized UGC sponsored, State Level Symposium & Workshop on “Life Skills Counseling” on September 17, 2014 to equip the students and faculty of Psychology with the knowledge and skills of the ten life skills recommended by the WHO for enhancing Holistic well-being and quality of life. The Symposium comprised of the technical sessions on “Management of Stress”, “Child Therapy”, “Counseling Adolescence with Substance Abuse Problems” and “Life Skills for Psycho- Social Competence”. The Resource persons were eminent Clinical Psychologists and Psychiatric Social Workers from reputed Institutions. It was followed by Workshops on three prominent Life Skills namely- “Management of Emotions”, “Self- Awareness” and “Inter- Personal Relations”. These sessions were very educative and made an impact on the students and faculty members. The Symposium and workshop was well attended by 350 delegates from 20 colleges across Karnataka.
- Conducted an Add- on Certificate Course in Clinical Hypnotherapy on August 12, 2014. Jointly with EKAA Integrated Hypnotherapy Association, Mumbai. Dr. Molly Joy, A Psychologist and Hypnotherapist conducted the course. Around 40 students of our Department underwent this course.
- Arranged for a talk on “Depression & Suicide” on February 24, 2014. Honorary Secretary of NES, Formerly, Head of the Department of Psychology and Vice- Principal of the college, Prof. S.N. Nagaraj Reddy was the resource person. It was a great opportunity for the students to have an Interactive Session with the Secretary.
- The Staff and the Students of Psychology made an Educational Trip to Manasa School for Mentally Challenged, Tumkur on 12/03/2013. It was a great learning experience for the students. They also visited Siddaganga Shrine.
- On March 4, 2013 a Workshop on “Career Guidance and Counseling” was conducted to enable the students to explore the opportunities available in the field of Psychology.
- Our students have been participating in the National Level Paper Presentation competition for UG students,Inter-Collegiate competitions and have won prizes.
- In 2013-14, six students underwent Internship in Clinical Psychology at Spandana Hospital and Prasanna Counseling Center.
- In 2014-15, seven students have undergone Internship at Prasanna Counseling Center, Manasa Clinic, Montfort College and Spandana Hospital.
- Many of our students have progressed to higher education in various fields of Psychology, such as Clinical Psychology, Industrial & Organisational Psychology, Child Care & Guidance and Counseling Psychology.